- How do I run a Night of Mystery Party?
What if I am a first-time host/hostess?
First time host/hostesses need not be weary. Night of Mystery parties have everything you need to throw a successful party and are designed to be easy-to-run. Back To Top
Can I run these games for profit?
If you wish to run our parties for profit, including charging any individual to take part or be a spectator while the game(s) are being played, or include it in a package for which you have charged the individual, you MUST pay the commercial fee.
The commercial fee enables you to run the game multiple times for-profit. We have found our fee to be less costly than our competitors and much less expensive than having your own party written for you. Please keep in mind that without paying this commercial fee, you are in violation of the law and subject to prosecution. WE DO monitor the web and often become aware of cases of infringement and prosecute when such instances arise. For more information, please see our terms and conditions.
Can I run these games as a fundraiser?
If you wish to run any Night of Mystery Game to raise money for charity, Night of Mystery will gladly donate the commercial fee to non-profit organizations. Upon payment, you will be asked for your non-profit number. To use the mysteries without either (a) submitting your non-profit number or (b) without paying the commercial fee is illegal. In addition, we ask that you clearly state on all the advertising copy that the game is from Night of Mystery, the website address (www.nightofmystery.com) and the fact that the game belongs to Night of Mystery. Finally, your right to use the game for your organization will commence at the finish of your event. If you wish to use the game for another fundraiser, you will have to purchase the game again. Night of Mystery will donate three commercial fees per non-profit number per year.
If you have any questions, please contact us or see our terms and conditions page.
Can I play along without knowing who the murderer is?
You, as host, get to decide how much or little you know about the murder. If you wish to play along, you can read the host's guide, which will tell you how to set-up the party without knowing the murderer and/or solution.
Are the parties pre-scripted?
Life doesn’t go by a script and neither should you. We find that pre-scripting a party takes away from the spontaneity of the event and limits your guests in what they can do and think. With Night Of Mystery parties, you will find that each of your guests will receive more than enough information about their character, how to play, secrets and objectives for them to do with as they please throughout the party. This gives the character enough to do without being told WHAT to do. This format also allows for much improvisation throughout the night and a party as unique as the individuals attending it. ***The kid mysteries DO include short, scripted parts.
How do the larger versions (20-80 guests) work?
The larger party includes 20 guests as suspects and then a number of general character descriptions for additional guests. These additional general characters will keep their birth name (our you can assign them a new name) and they will have information about the murder, secrets to keep and objectives to complete. These characters will act as sleuths and help bring to the surface some of the hidden motives of the suspects in question. You may have duplicates of as many of these general characters are you need in order to fill your guest list. With larger parties, we find that it is important to have these extra roles to (a) make sure everyone is "involved" with the murder and (b) to help bring to light all of the possible motives for the murder. These versions are also a great way to accommodate guests who are last-minute add-ons or guests who are unsure if they are going to be able to make the party at all. These versions have also been used with as little as 21 guests and in excess of 100 guests.
Are these parties suitable for youths and/or more conservative groups?
Night of Mystery has developed a number of "Clean Versions" of our mystery themes. We also now have “kid mysteries” which are suited for 8-12 year olds. Please see next question for explanation.
What is a Clean Version?
Due to a heavy demand for games that were suitable for more conservative groups and youths, some of the parties have been formatted without any reference to alcohol, extramarital affairs and/or illegal drugs. These mysteries are named "Clean Versions" and are found here. Please note: there are a number of our parties that DO NOT have clean versions. We recommend clean versions for gatherings with more conservative guests and company functions so as not to offend anyone. Although these mysteries do not have references to some topics; blackmail, bribery, murder and deceit are still part of the game.
What all is included in the download packet?
Each Night of Mystery Party Includes:
- A Host Guide— A complete how-to of throwing your party which includes directions on preparing the invitations, assigning characters and preparing for the party.
- A Schedule of the Night— A step-by-step breakdown of how the night will go.
- An Introduction— to be read to the guests upon arrival.
- Designed Invitations— that you can customize with the details of your party.
- Information to be sent with the invitations— including background information on the party and the guest list.
- Character Descriptions— full descriptions of the characters, including costuming and acting tips.
- Character Objective Sheets— this includes objectives for each character to try to achieve at each stage of the game in order to uncover evidence and find the murderer.
- Name Tags— for your guests.
- Evidence— more clues that will be presented toward the end of the night. This evidence will help your guests solve the mystery and find the murderer.
- "Who Dunnit” Cards—“ to allow your guests to guess the murderer, along with vote for the most animated character and best outfit.
- The Solution— revealing the murderer and all the clues that could have led you there.
- Award Certificates— to be awarded to the best costume, the most theatrical, the player with the most money at the end of the night and to each of the guests that solve the murder.
- *** There are slight variations for the kid mysteries. Please see our Kid Mysteries FAQ section for more details!
- Back To Top
Am I going to get something in the mail?
NO. All of our murder mystery games come as downloadable files. This allows for immediate delivery to the customer upon order. If you are ordering costumes, decorations or accessories, they will be shipped, but our games are not sent in the postal mail.
How long between when I place an order and when I can access my mystery download?
Upon the processing of your payment, you will be returned to a page where you can re-log-in to your account where you will have the ability to download your party and emailable invitations for your guests. You can also access this information for two weeks after your purchase using your account information. Be sure to remember your username and password that you created when purchasing the mystery.
What if I am having trouble viewing or printing the file?
If you are having trouble viewing or printing the file, please click here to go to the Adobe website. Once on the Adobe website, click on “Get Adobe Reader” (button on the left hand side of the screen). The site will take you through the steps to download this free application. Once you have the application downloaded, you will be able to view and print your file through Adobe Reader. Please note, this is Adobe Reader, NOT Adobe Acrobat. Often times, people get confused between the two applications. It is Adobe Reader that the file will perform better in.
Can I email out my invitations and character descriptions?
Yes. We have invitations you can download at any time to send out to your guests. (We recommend you do this before purchasing if you are unclear of your guest count.) Once you order, you will have access to your party pdf as well as email invitations with character descriptions included for your guests. See a sample emailable invite with character descriptionhere.
What if I don't want to purchase online?
If you wish to purchase by check or money order, please contact us and we will give you a current address to send it to.
What is your refund policy?
Night of Mystery does not offer a refund on any of their products. Due the nature of the files, we have no way to prevent a customer from using a party package after the customer has been sent the link to be able to download it from our site.
We do offer free introduction files that will assist in making sure that our party packages are everything that you expect and want in your purchase. Please seethese introductions before making your purchase to insure your satisfaction.
- How do I win a FREE party?
What is a teen mystery?
- A Teen Version is a clean version that is simplified in verbiage to cater to a younger crowd.
What is a Kid Mystery?
- Night of Mystery has launched a line of kid mysteries which are formatted for children ages 8-12. These mysteries involve much simpler themes and concepts, but include the same amount of murder mystery fun! To find out more information on these mysteries, please see the FAQ section on kid mysteries.
What is an LGBT version?
An LGBT friendly version is a mystery where there are same-sex couples within it. These versions are typically formatted for mostly-male or mostly-female with some gender-neutral characters. The male or female characters may be involved in same-sex relationships.
What if I do not have the maximum number of guests?
Each game comes with instructions and the minimum number of people that need to be in attendence. As long as you have the minimum number, you will be alright. Make sure to read through the host guide that you receive to see which characters should be left out if you are short of the maximum number of guests.
What if I don't know how many people are coming to the party?
Before ordering, we suggest you get an accurate guest count. You can do this by downloading an invitation to the party and asking for an rsvp. Once you have the guest count, you will be able to purchase the mystery for the correct amount of guests you are expecting.
Can I upgrade or downgrade to another party if I don't have enough or too many guests?
While we would love to honor the ability to upgrade or downgrade for a game, unfortunately, we cannot. Since our games are custom written for the size of the party (ie, we don't just create a mystery with 8 characters and then keep adding more characters to it), each mystery size is unique unto itself and must be charged that way. That being said, going from 10-15 version to 15-20 version, will not only add in more characters, but it will change the storylines of the existing characters, and vice-versa in going from a larger version to a smaller one. This is why we strongly suggest you get a guest count before formally ordering. You can do so by downloading an invitation, inviting your guests and then purchasing your mystery once you have a more acurate number of people attending. Unfortunately, if you find yourself in this predicament, you will have to purchase another version of the mystery for the size you want unless you are moving from the 15-20 version to the 20+ version (see directly below).
- HELP! I have too many people coming to my party!
Can I upgrade to the 20-80 guest version?
You can upgrade to the 20-80 guest version ONLY if you have already purchased the 15-20 guest version. Unfortunately if you have purchased the 8-12 guest or 10-15 guest version, the upgrade will not work with those versions -- only with the 15-20 guest version. To do so, you will purchase the "upgrade" off of the site.
What if I have more than 80 guests?
If you have more than 80 guests attending a party, you can order the larger version of a party (20-80 guest version) and simply duplicate the general characters in order to fill your guest list. While the party versions are labeled for 20-80 guests, we have heard of our customers throwing them with over 100 in attendance.
How long do I have to download the party?
You will have 60 days from the time of purchase to download and save your file. Once saved, there is no time limit for you to be able to access your file on your own computer. Unfortunately, we cannot be responsible for lost or undownloaded files after your 14-day downloadable time period.
- What if I am having trouble downloading my file?
How do the kid mysteries work?
- Ahead of time, the kids will be sent a highly-graphic, fun invitation (included with the mystery) with some background information on the party which will also include their character information!
- At the party, the kids will introduce themselves by reading a short script.
- Someone will “fall down dead.”
- After “death,” the ‘victim’ will come back to the party as the investigator and name some suspects.
- The kids will be divided into suspects and investigators.
- Using short scripts, the kids will question one another in front of the other kids – giving away clues as the party goes on.
- After two rounds of investigations, which will uncover clues and evidence, the kids will make their best guesses at who the guilty party is.
- The guilty party will confess!!!
- SEE MORE HERE!!!
What age are kid mysteries intended for?
- Ages 8 -12
- Kids should be able to read short sentences for the game to run smoothly. (Adults can always help!)
Do the kids need to dress up?
- Dressing up is always fun, but not essential.
- As a host, you can also provide additional inexpensive props (bandannas, hats, badges, etc) to help the kids who do not dress up ‘get into character.’
Is there murder involved with a kid mystery?
- Yes, someone does ‘die’ at the party, however, it is not violent or gruesome.
- The child who is the victim often goes down giggling and will return to the party and help invstigate the crime with all of the others!
What is the difference between kid mysteries and other Night of Mystery parties?
Kid mysteries have:
- simpler themes
- simpler writing
- simpler clues
- uncover evidence by short scripted speeches and investigations NOT role-playing and improvisational clue giving.
- The host is a parent or older sibling that will lead the party.
- At this time, the kid mysteries are formatted for 8-12 guests. Please let us know if there is a need for larger party sizes.
What do I get with my kid mystery?
Everything that you would get with a normal Night of Mystery party – just kid-oriented.
· A Host Guide— A complete how-to of throwing your party which includes directions on preparing the invitations, assigning characters and preparing for the party.
· A Party Schedule— A step-by-step breakdown of how the party will go.
· An Introduction— to be read to the guests upon arrival.
· Designed Invitations— that you can customize with the details of your party.
· Information to be sent with the invitations— including background information on the party and the guest list.
· Character Descriptions— full descriptions of the characters, including costuming and acting tips (included in their invitations).
· Character Introductions and Investigation Scripts— short scripts that allow the kids to introduce themselves and/or aid them in investigating one another about the crime.
· Name Tags— for your guests.
· Evidence— more clues that will be presented throughout the party. This evidence will help your guests solve the mystery and find the murderer.
· "Who Dunnit” Cards—“ to allow your guests to guess the murderer.
· The Solution— revealing the murderer and all the clues that could have led you there.
· Award Certificates— to be awarded to the best costume, the most theatrical, the player with the most money at the end of the night and to each of the guests that solve the murder.
• Party Printables and Extras— directions, templates and designs to help you plan for your party.
• Party planning website— a webiste designed to help you with all of your party planning needs specific to THIS party!