Player's Exchange

Search for answers to your questions by entering a keyword below.

www.nightofmystery.com • View topic - Murder at the Juice Joint - Entertaining and Creative!

Murder at the Juice Joint - Entertaining and Creative!

Post your comments and questions about this party

Murder at the Juice Joint - Entertaining and Creative!

Postby Kristy_kittycat » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:49 pm

My boyfriend and I wanted to throw a costume party around Halloween and it was decided that we should do an old fashioned murder mystery party! We wanted something that everyone could participate in and use their own creativity without having to read from a script. I was so excited when we found nightofmystery.com. I sent an email to everyone invited and gave them a few party choices. The majority of people wanted the 1920's Murder at the Juice Joint party so we got to working on setting things up right away! We matched up characters with everyone's personality type so they would be comfortable. I, of course, took on the role of Rosie, since she was the party host, and my boyfriend wanted to be the police chief. When it came time to send everyone their party and character information, I got really creative and expanded on the things included in the file we purchased. I created a new invitation that we sealed with a black ribbon, a new newspaper handout with actual pictures from 1920's Chicago, and I even created some historical background handouts describing life in the 1920's to make sure everyone understood the time period. Everyone received these plus their character description, a detailed party description, the gangster glossary, and the Charleston dance handout. Each page was printed on unique paper. All items were placed into a envelope and sealed with a red wax stamp with an imprint of a rose as if the packet was coming from Rosie. Two weeks later, we had the party at a friend's house. It was so exciting to see what everyone had done with their character. Everyone had on a unique costume and seemed to really get into character. We had Chicago style pizza set out and of course a bar with a variety of alcohol. We even had "root beer" for those who did not want to drink. As everyone arrived, our "Juice Joint Bouncer" would question people at the door to see if they remembered the password "Lucky Lindy" that had been given to them in their packet. Each character got a name tag and a miniature notepad and pencil to record their observations. I also took polariod pictures of each character as they arrived which I later pinned to a "Suspects" board. When everyone arrived, we handed out their first envelopes and the party began. These envelopes also held money to use throughout the night. Instead of using the money provided in the packet, my boyfriend created money that had everyone's individual picture on their own stack of money. That way, people could see whose money they took! In addition to questioning people and acting their parts, we created many activities for everyone to participate in in order to make the place more like a speakeasy. An old projector played silent Buster Keaton films on the wall, a collection of 1920's music was playing for dancing, and gambling games were setup. We had blackjack, craps, and a horseracing game. We wanted people to use their money in many ways. I also put posters around the room that included things like: pictures of famous people of the era, movie posters, and art work of the 20's. When the Charleston played, everyone danced too! It was a lot of fun! We even gave our "Cigarette Girl" candy, chocolate, and bubble gum cigarettes and cigars to hand out. Once, the murder took place, we handed out the second set of envelopes. The one who was murdered was told that they could listen in on conversations without paying money, but they could not ask questions. We did not use the detective character, so I (as Rosie) went around to "discover" and gather the evidence one at a time for everyone to look over. When all evidence was presented and everyone finished their objectives, we handed out accusation cards that asked everyone who they accused, what the motive was, and the evidence they used to come to the conclusion. I wanted to see if people actually uncovered the murderer through their own detective work rather than just guessing. I asked some people to explain their accusations and then revealed who was correct. Three people uncovered most of the clues and we awarded with the smoking gun certificate. As host, I had decided to know the murderer and complete party information to make sure that the party ran smoothly. I wanted to listen and make sure everyone gave out the right and important information throughout the night. It turned out very well and everyone seemed to have a lot of fun! Costumes were great, the decor set the scene, and everyone "became their characters." We cannot wait to throw an ever bigger and better party! Please enjoy the pictures and feel free to use any of my ideas for your party! I will also be happy to answer any questions...except reveal the murderer...
:D
Kristy_kittycat

Postby portia319 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:31 pm

Looks like a blast!! Our party is in 2 weeks!

I LOVE your sign -- did you buy the letters or make it using glitter?? I want to make something similar!
portia319

Postby Kristy_kittycat » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:04 pm

Hi! Thanks for the great comment. I actually made the sign. Here is how you make the letters: Print out the letters on regular white paper in your choice of font. Then cut around the letters so that you dont have to deal with so much excess paper. (Dont cut the letters out exactly, just cut around them). Then place the cut out letters on the poster board in the arrangement that you want. Now trace over the letters on top of the print out. Push hard to make sure that you push through to make an imprint onto the poster. Once you take the paper away, you should see clear imprints of your words. Next, take Elmer's glue and outline the imprints with glue. The glue stays pretty much where you put it, just dont squeeze too hard. I put on a thick layer of glue so that the letters will pop out a little. After you outline the letters, sprinkle glitter over all parts with glue. Let that set for a few hours. The thicker the glue, the more time. (I suggest overnight). Now all you have left to do is stand up the poster board and shake off the excess glitter. I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your party!
Kristy_kittycat

Return to Murder at the Juice Joint