Player's Exchange

Search for answers to your questions by entering a keyword below.

www.nightofmystery.com • View topic - Best Birthday party ever!

Best Birthday party ever!

Post your comments and questions about this party

Best Birthday party ever!

Postby pattymann » Thu May 09, 2013 2:27 pm

This was a big birthday for me and I'm not all about parties for me, however, I had always wanted to do a murder mystery and decided this was the perfect opportunity. I got on line and found Night of Mystery and chose Cruising for Murder for my first murder mystery party (I have since done 3 more and they are now a tradition). I sent out evites and got an overwhelming response so I bought the 20+ game. We ended up with over 40 guest and EVERYONE game "dressed to kill" and was so into their character. I put ocean scene setter in all of the windows so anywhere in the house you looked out onto the ocean. I also had signs made to label all the rooms and the back patio was labeled "The Lido Deck" with Christmas lights and music playing. That really helped to set the atmosphere. Just like on a real cruise, everyone arrived on time so there was a line out the door of the house. I painted a large photo shoot backdrop with the "Mystery of the Seas" cruise ship and a sunset. My daughter dressed as the ships photographer and had a tripod set up. As each guest arrived they got a photo op and then were directed to the pursers desk to check in where they received their "A" envelopes and then directed on to the bar. My sons came home from college to be the bartenders and prepared tropical libations that they and the "pool boy" served and the pool boy wouldn't serve anyone a drink without payment, but was very pushy about serving drinks - just like on a real cruise! I was Chelsea Stubling, the Captains wife-my captain was a real Naval officer who wore his dress whites. I cooked and prepared all the food ahead of time, but planned on a sit down served dinner with a desert buffet. I had all the tables set with place cards for everyone - the staff ate at a table in the kitchen. Whenever I tried to go into the kitchen to help the "crew" they ran me out and said the captains wife can't help and the "crew" served the meals and then retreated to the kitchen to eat, while I was seated at the Captains table in the dining room. I felt sooooo bad, but it was indeed fun! The murder happened after dinner and the Port Authority and the purser immediately began to investigate the murder. Everyone was very involved in trying to solve the murder, bribery and blackmail was running rampant! I did not read the character descriptions or know who the victim or the murderer was - my daughter handled that part of the game. We bought money that looked real and I think that adds to the fun as well, everyone used their money like it was real! This was an awesome game and the fun continued on FB for days afterward. I posted the pics on FB and had friends want to know what cruise we went on. Too funny! This was an awesome game and everyone had a great time. I highly recommend Cruising for Murder and Night of Mystery.

pattymann

Return to Cruising for Murder