Player's Exchange

Search for answers to your questions by entering a keyword below.

www.nightofmystery.com • View topic - Dead men DO tell tales... in North Hollywood!!!

Dead men DO tell tales... in North Hollywood!!!

Post your comments and questions about this party

Dead men DO tell tales... in North Hollywood!!!

Postby mshock » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:41 pm

(BTW VIEW THE PHOTOS FROM BOTTOM TO TOP FOR THE MOST LOGICAL ORGER OF THE PARTY. PHOTOS OF THE GUESTS ARE IN ORDER OF THE CHARACTERS, STARTING WITH REDBEARD)

On August 30th, 2008, my husband and I threw your "Murder Among the Mateys" party for 45 of our friends. It was a ROUSING success! Let me first say that we have thrown many different murder mysteries in the past, from many different companies, and yours was the FIRST one that actually had a logical mystery and storyline that gave the guests a chance at solving it. Well done!

SET UP:
To set the mood, my husband and his best friend built the pirate ship, "The Jaded Jewel," in our back yard, complete with wharf, dock, "water" made from blue curtains, and a fog machine.

Then I set to work on the invitations. First, I found a "pirate name generator" online to create names for the guests who were playing the extra characters like "Sailor #1" and "Pirate #3". Some of the best results were...
-Insane Brody Dregg
-Bad Rum Ruby
-Scarlett Gwynn
-Swashy Vane
-Blacksword Jeremiah
-Sandy Knockboots
-Drownin' Fritz Cooke
-Sydney "Fancy Pants" Drake

I loved the suggestion of soaking the paper in coffee and letting it dry in the sun to create the look of parchment. I also found red "sealing wax". It comes in sticks and is melted in a standard glue gun. I finished the invites off with a calligraphy pen and sent them off in the mail. It really set the tone to get everyone excited for the party.

I found some peel-and-stick jewels and attached them to cups so everyone could have a "goblet".

Instead of printing out the money that came with the game, I gave every person a pirate bag with 12 pirate coins in them. They also contained their name tag and two scrolls (one red one blue) which were the clues for the game

I created a pirate music play list with a great band called "Scurvy Bastards", some sea shanties, and some Celtic fiddle music. As people approached the "Salty Sea Dog Tavern" entrance (complete with welcome sign and pirate flag), they were greeted by the music from the actual "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride. I also had the movie playing in the background on the TV.

Fortunately, we already had our own sword collection on the walls for decoration, but we also found lithograph images of pirates & maps online. I printed them out on the "parchment" paper, found a "wood grain" pattern, printed it out, and cut it to make "framing" for the pictures, on which I used adhesive mounting and poster board. This created all the other artwork for the house.

On the left hand side of the yard. I created a cemetery using our Halloween decorations, and hung a skeleton in the trees (complete with parrot on shoulder).

For the tables outside, I used old curtains and sheets of burlap and tied them down with ropes. I found some skull candle holders and candelabras for the centerpieces and draped them all with all my costume jewelry and scarves. My friend created "casks" out of cardboard which fitted around iced tea dispensers for all our rum drinks:
-mojitos
-hurricanes
-zombies

For the table, I tried to use platters that were wood, pewter and glass. The Caribbean-style menu consisted of...
-9 pound honey baked ham with mustard and king Hawaiian bread
-5 rotisserie chickens with a Caribbean salsa
-Jamaican style grilled vegetables (zucchini, peppers, squash, mushrooms)
-crab dip and vegetables
-shrimp cocktail with an orange jalapeno dipping sauce
-pineapple skewers and grapes
-macadamia nuts
-banana chips
-key lime tarts
-coconut cupcakes

ON TO THE FESTIVITIES!!!!
I was truly THRILLED with how great everyone looked. Everyone was so excited about the party and all 45 people came dressed to the nines. I could have used an extra couple of prizes for costume because there were some great ones. People posed in front of "The Jaded Jewel" and it felt like prom! My husband, Shoutin' Roger Dagger, welcomed everyone and encouraged the cheating and conniving to begin. The free form style worked great for such a large group, as opposed to being constrained to reciting lines back and forth as other murder mysteries have done. It was hilarious to watch all my friends who were serving wenches use their wiles to gain pirate coins. The party progressed nicely according to the recommended timeline. Just before we made the announcements of who the killer was, someone made the BRILLIANT suggestion of taking a group picture in front of the pirate ship. It was the best picture of the night and I love seeing how enthusiastic everyone was for the party. Once all the accusations and votes were tallied, 12 of 45 people guessed the correct murderer, so the tie breaker went to the person who figured out most of the motive, and he received a large bottle of Pyrate Rum. We awarded a male and female "best actor/actress" and they each received a small bottle of Pyrate Rum. The Governor won in a landslide for best costume, and he was presented with a sword, Scarlett Gwynn got best female costume and received a dagger. Lastly, Beatrice Swiftknife collected 36 gold coins and received a copy of "Pirate: The Game".

The guest were set to arrive between 6:30 & 7:00, we started the game around 7:30, announced the results around 10:30, and then everyone continued to stay, party, eat, drink and socialize until 2:00 in the morning, finishing up with 7 die-hards watching the end of "Pirates of the Caribbean". People continue to tell us that it was the best party they had been to (since our wedding), and we are really looking forward to when we have the energy to do it all again!

Arrgh!
Molly "Red Mary Rackham" Shock

Last edited by mshock on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mshock

Postby mshock » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:14 pm

...pictures are coming forthwith! Check back later!
mshock

Postby portia319 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:58 pm

Your party looked awesome!!!
portia319

Return to Murder Among The Mateys