Player's Exchange

Search for answers to your questions by entering a keyword below.

www.nightofmystery.com • View topic - NOVEMBER 2015 Night of Mutiny Mayhem & Murder, PICTURES!

NOVEMBER 2015 Night of Mutiny Mayhem & Murder, PICTURES!

Win a FREE Party by telling us about yours!

NOVEMBER 2015 Night of Mutiny Mayhem & Murder, PICTURES!

Postby mrmystery » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:24 pm

As the sun set over the Colorado mountains (please grant me some geographical latitude), a cool mist enveloped the sleepy town of Manitou Springs. A gentle easterly breeze brought with it the infamous ship of fortune, the Jaded Jewell. Fresh off a successful voyage of pillaging and plundering, her scurvy crew, flush with coin and eager for a spot 'o rum and a bit of pleasurable company, converged at the notorious buccaneer gathering spot, the Salty Seadog. As the fates would have it, a rather unfortunate group of noblemen, pirates, commoners, drunkards and rejects happened to grace the Seadog's threshold that night. This motley crew would prove more combustible than a flaming powder keg on an old wooden ship. Before the night was out, the foul stench of murder filled the air. Solving the crime would require more than a bit of cunning and ingenuity, for as all pirates know, dead men tell no tales!

I was introduced to Night of Mystery through a Murder at the Deadwood Saloon party. When I saw on the website that the company offered a pirate themed mystery, I immediately began to plan. I decided that turning our basement garage into a tavern would be our best option. It took me about two months to build the props which included two cannons, ten crates, stocks, a 20 foot pirate ship, gallows, a bar, and a house full of various pirate paraphernalia. I printed the invites on parchment paper and burned the edges. I then sealed them with wax and stamped them with a skull and crossbones. We ended up having 26 guests, so I had to go back and buy the expansion package.

The night of the party, I used 20 tiki torches to route guests around the side of the house. As they rounded the corner, I had a spotlight shining on a gallows occupied by the skeleton of the notorious pirate, Toothless Willy, swinging in the breeze. A fog machine added to the effect. They continued on to the back deck that I turned into a pier with the pirate ship, cannon, barrels and crates. Inside the house and down into the basement, they entered the Salty Seadog.

The night unfolded pretty much according to the script. At the beginning of the night, I announced there would prizes for accurately guessing the murder, the best costume and the best actor. At about the half-way point, we served a dinner of Caribbean chicken, salad, beans and rice. I had rigged all the candles, lanterns, cauldrons and other lights in the tavern to just one switch. As everyone was finishing dinner, I hit the switch to blacken the room and played a sound clip from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride: "Dead men tell no tales!". The victim let out a scream and fell to the floor. I then switched the lights back on and we set about solving the crime. We had five guests accurately guess the murder, so they all played a game of liar's dice to determine the ultimate winner. Commodore clearing was voted best actor and Juliana Napier was voted the best dressed.

The party was a raging success. I invited a very diverse group of guests, many of whom had never met each other. The format was very conducive to encouraging interaction between all the guests. You would have thought everyone had been best friends for years. Even normally reserved personalities jumped into character and had a great time socializing. The main mystery lasted about four hours. After that, we moved outside for sword fights and duels under the gallows. We eventually ended up back in the tavern playing liar's dice until the wee hours of the morning. Everybody is eagerly anticipating the next mystery. We're already planning for Murder at the Juice Joint.

mrmystery
Site Admin

Return to Party of the Month Contest