Player's Exchange

Search for answers to your questions by entering a keyword below.

www.nightofmystery.com • View topic - DECEMBER 2014 Jersey Juice Joint

DECEMBER 2014 Jersey Juice Joint

Win a FREE Party by telling us about yours!

DECEMBER 2014 Jersey Juice Joint

Postby mrmystery » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:34 am

Great time had by all at the Juice Joint!

This was our first murder mystery party - either hosting or attending and what a success. We had 16 guests - so a relatively small party - but we wanted something pretty manageable for the first time. I was nervous that not everyone would get into character but those fears were quickly put aside as my guests arrived and introduced themselves to each other in full costume and character. Awesome!

A few tips for future Juice Joint Owners:
Give your self plenty of time to plan. We did this party in about six weeks and when it came to the last few days I was running around, stressed, trying to get things decorated and finish my outfit. Don't make that mistake. I'll give myself 4-6 months for the next party. I just completely underestimated how much fun I was going to have putting everything together.

We transformed our house and the more I did, the more ideas I got. I ended up building a temporary bar for my kitchen (and hiring a bartender - which I fully recommend), we moved almost all of our furniture to either the garage or basement and in it's place we rented both dinner tables and cocktail tables. That really helped give our house the look of a restaurant/bar. We also borrowed a poker table from a friend and turned our sunroom into a poker room.

Even the little things took time and research - creating a bar menu, getting additional celebrity pictures for our walls from the time period (Charlie Chaplin, Louis Armstrong and Josephine Baker to name a few), and creating a killer (pun intended) soundtrack. Don't underestimate the power of the little things - your guests will notice and it will help set the tone for the evening.

For some music suggestions check out the Boardwalk Empire Soundtrack. And for a cool twist to throw into your playlist look up Scott Bradlee and Postmodern Jukebox.

Another advantage to planning well ahead of time is that you can plan on spreading out the expense. I found myself within in a few weeks time rushing out to buy table cloths, martini glasses, liquor, food, lumber for the bar, beads/boas/strings of pearls, plates and napkins, etc. A lot of it was stuff I could have gotten online but wanted to make sure I had it in time so decided to try to find it locally. Next time I'll know well in advance my decorations and will take advantage of sites like pintrest and do some shopping online.

Anyway, hope that helps any future party planners.

mrmystery

Return to Party of the Month Contest