Player's Exchange

Search for answers to your questions by entering a keyword below.

www.nightofmystery.com • View topic - JULY 2013 Murder among the Mateys... Southern Style!

JULY 2013 Murder among the Mateys... Southern Style!

Win a FREE Party by telling us about yours!

JULY 2013 Murder among the Mateys... Southern Style!

Postby mrmystery » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:31 pm

My parents have always been the “party people”, and have put on quite a few murder mysteries throughout the years. We recently discovered Night of Mystery with Murder in Margaritaland, and it was much more interactive and fun than the other companies we had used. So for Mothers’ Day this year, I decided to get Murder Among the Mateys and be the host, so that my mom could actually participate without having to plan the party and knowing whodunit ahead of time. We decided to throw the party in my parents’ backyard, which already has a tropical theme. We made sails out of shower curtains and a wooden frame for the tables, and set up food on the deck.

My dad and I are big food people, so we had a blast coming up with the menu. For appetizers, we went with “ship food”… cheese, crackers we labeled as “hard tack”, beef jerky and sausages that we called “salt meat”, along with ale and “grog” (rum punch). Then, as the party started we brought out the feast, which included rotisserie chicken, roasted potatoes, salad and 2 types of meat pies with puff pastry– one with BBQ pork and one with a seafood cream filling. For dessert, rum cake of course!

The party was such a hit! I was blown away by everyone’s costumes and participation. Instead of using the paper money that came with the packet, we decided to use fake gold coins for everyone. We had some coins left over, so we hid them around the area and let everyone use it as a scavenger hunt of sorts during the party, which turned out to be a huge hit.

Everyone had a blast, and only one person guessed who the actual murderer was! By the end of the night, people were already asking when the next one would be. I think this might end up being a yearly event!

My mom as Cutthroat McPherson definitely deserved the “Drama Queen” award. She did a great job in character and had so much fun actually getting to participate!

Although everyone did great with their costumes, Cap’n Redbeard ended up victorious for the “Dressed to Kill” award.

The only one who guessed whodunit correctly!

mrmystery
Site Admin

Return to Party of the Month Contest